Relationship of musculoskeletal pain and work performance among nurses in De La Salle University Medical Center (DLSUMC)
Date of Completion
Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy
Musculoskeletal Pain, Work Performance, Nurses
This co-relational study involved conducting a survey among 101 registered staff nurses of De La Salle University Medical Center. Respondents were identified using purposive sampling. The survey questionnaire was divided into three (3) parts: Part 1 was the demographic and occupational profile of the respodnents; Part 2 aimed to determine the presence of any work-related musculoskeletal complaints as to their work environment; Part 3 was focused on the work performance of the nurses particularly on attendance and performance evaluation (supervisor and peer). Chi-square test and frequency were utilized for data analysis. Results of the study showed that majority of the participants belong to the age group of 21-30 years old, females who works in the ward for less than or equal to one (1) year. Among the respondents, 70% have work-related musculoskeletal pain, 68% of whom complains of back pain, 42% complains of shoulder and arm pain and 35% have high and leg pain. As to work performance, 58% have no absences while remaining 42% absent themselves from work due to the presence of musculoskeletal pain. As to the respondents' performance evaluation scores based on the median score of 94.03%, results showed that majority of them were above the median score and 62 of the 73 respondents have musculoskeletal pain and absence/s from their work. In conclusion, there exist a significant relationship between work-related musculoskeletal complaints and work performance of nurses working at De La Salle University Medical Center based on the computed chi-square value for the performance evaluation and attendance which is 0.68 and 0.11 respectively at 0.05 level of significance. The researchers recommend that the hospital administration must administer protocol in ergonomic considerations given to the staff nurses before and after the shifts of the staff nurses.
Bartolome, C. I.,
Bayla, E. M.,
Calingasan, M. R.,
Dimatulac, J. P.,
Murata, R. M.,
Ventura, E. P.,
Villarosa, M. B.
Relationship of musculoskeletal pain and work performance among nurses in De La Salle University Medical Center (DLSUMC).
Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy.
Retrieved from https://greenprints.dlshsi.edu.ph/bspt/99